Archive for June, 2008

Data Driven Unit Tests fail during TFS 2008 Build…

Wednesday, June 11th, 2008

but not when executed in Visual Studio 2008.

Error Message:
The unit test adapter failed to connect to the data source or to read the data. For more information on troubleshooting this error, see "Troubleshooting Data-Driven Unit Tests" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=62412) in the MSDN Library.
Error details: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Solution: Don't specify the connection string and the table in the constructor of the DataSource attribute, but follow this (use the configuration section).

Make sure you specify Version 9.0.0 and not 8.0.0 like in the sample!

Shuttle SX38P2 Pro *addons*

Friday, June 6th, 2008

Shuttle SX38P2 Pro the ultimate laptop replacement

First of all the carrying bag from shuttle suck for this kind of machine - way too heavy.
So I checked various bag shops - either too big, too expensive or too ugly!
So finally I found something at IKEA! I'll provide pcitures later. It fits perfectly and even has space for my keyboard.

Right now I suffer with installing Windows XP without a floppy. I could not do it. I think I failed because the 2 disks are configured as RAID 0.

For dual boot config menu changes here

I finally installed Windows Server 2008 x86 to get VTune 9.0 update 7 to run.

Upgrading Exchange 2003 Single Server Setup to Exchange 2007

Wednesday, June 4th, 2008

problem: Upgrading an Exchange 2003 Single Server to Exchange 2007

environment:
Physical Machines

  • Server Name: "mail", Athlon 1 GHz, 1GB RAM, Windows Server 2003 x86, AD, Exchange 2003 SP2 or so, HTTP-RPC Support, OWA
  • Server Name: "bubbles", Intel Q9450 2.67 GHz, 8gb DDR2 RAM. Windows Server 2008 x64
  • Server Name: "pinky", ", Intel Q9450 2.67 GHz, 6gb DDR2 RAM (ABit IP35 won't go past "Post Boot Screen" with 8GB = 4x 2GB DDR2. Windows Server 2008 x64

Virtual Machines using Hyper-V RC1 and RC2

  • Server Name: "mail2k7", Windows Server 2008 x64, AD, Exchange 2007 SP1

introduction / background:

Exchange 2007 is only supported on x64 (yes I know about the x86 version), but there is no in-place upgrade available. Therefore one needs to setup a second machine and so on.

solution:

  • Setup "mail2k7" with Windows Server 2008 on bubbles (hyper-v rc1)
  • Installed AD Role on mail2k7
  • Connected to existing AD on "mail"
  • The old AD was still in Windows 2000 support mode. Therefore upgraded to Windows 2003 mode (Active Directory Sites and Service).
  • Setup DNS Role on mail2k7 added AD-supported Domain Entry (or maybe secondary)
  • Installed Exchange 2007 on mail2k7 (Got prompted for multiple pre-requisite roles, don't forget RPC support, needed for Outlook Anyware
  •  For Outlook Anywhere I needed the following (from here)
    Get-OutlookProvider
    
    Name                                 Server                               SSL
    ----                                 ------                               ---
    EXCH                                 
    EXPR
    WEB                                  
    
    
    Which showed NULL values under server. 
    
    To assign a server to EXCH and WEB, I ran:
    
    set-outlookprovider WEB -server FQDN
    set-outlookprovider EXCH -server FQDN
    
  • Basic Authentication and use the Domain Name at logon
HELO
MAIL FROM:root@eisber.net
RCPT TO:eisber@eisber.net
DATA
Subject: Foo

Body 1
.
QUIT